According to its earnings report, the franchisee reported that its U.S. agent count fell 6.3% in the second quarter and revenue fell 4.8% annually.
Moving from Las Vegas to San Diego in 2025, Inman Connect will be bigger, better and bolder than ever. Join us Inman Connects San Diego July 30 to August 1, 2025 Join the brightest minds in real estate as they shape the future of the industry. Book your seat now and enjoy exclusive discounts.
RE/MAX announced Thursday that its revenue has declined in each of the past two years as a depressed market continues to cut into the company’s earnings and agent count.
The franchise reported losing nearly 1,000 agents in the second quarter of the year, down 0.7% to 143,542 agents. In North America, the decline was even steeper, with RE/MAX reporting a 4.4% agent loss in the U.S. and Canada, where it had 78,599 agents as of the third quarter.
Franchisees reported revenue was down 4.8% from a year earlier and expected to continue falling.
RE/MAX Holdings CEO Erik Carlson called second-quarter results “better than expected” in a statement.
“We continue to operate our business as efficiently as possible, which contributed to better-than-expected financial results in the second quarter,” Carlson said. “During and following the quarter, we are pleased to announce significant brokerage and team growth The switch to RE/MAX is a testament to our brand’s strong reputation and value proposition in the market.”
The company reported a profit of $3.7 million for the quarter, according to its earnings report.
According to the RE/MAX report, the number of agents in the United States fell the most this quarter, down 6.3% to 53,406. Outside the United States and Canada, growth was 4.2% to 64,943. The company said it does not expect to lose any agents next quarter. The company said it expects to lose up to 1.5% of its agents in the worst-case scenario.
Overall, the company’s second-quarter revenue was $78.5 million, down $4 million from the same period last year.
The company has been aggressively taking steps to rein in expenses even as revenue declines. The company reported a 10.1% reduction in expenses in the quarter compared with the same period last year.
As of June 30, the company reported having $66.1 million in cash and cash equivalents, a decrease of $16.6 million from December 2023.
RE/MAX said it expects revenue next quarter to be between $75 million and $80 million. Compared with the third quarter of 2023, this represents a decrease of 1.5% to 8.3%.
RE/MAX is scheduled to hold a conference call with investors on Friday morning.
Email Tyler Anderson