The families of a group of victims of the Uvalde school shooting announced a new lawsuit Friday against Instagram parent company Meta Platforms, the maker of the video game “Called Out” and the gun company behind the assault rifle used in the shooting.
The lawsuit against Meta, Activision and Daniel Defense was announced on the second anniversary of the attack on Robb Elementary School.
They accuse the companies of collaborating to promote and produce content designed to glorify combat, gun violence and killings that effectively groomed the teen shooter before he killed him in one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history 19 students and two teachers.
“There is a direct link between the actions of these companies and the Uvalde shooting,” said Josh Koskoff, an attorney for the families. “The three-headed monster deliberately exposed him to the weapon, made him see it as a problem-solving tool, and trained him to use it.”
On Wednesday, some of those families filed a $500 million lawsuit against Texas police officials and officials involved in the day’s botched law enforcement operation. More than 370 federal, state and local officials responded but waited more than an hour before confronting the gunman in the classroom, where students and teachers were left dead, dying or wounded.
Friday’s lawsuit is not the first to accuse tech companies of playing a role in radicalizing or influencing mass shootings. In May 2022, an attack occurred at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, and the families of the victims filed lawsuits over content on social media company platforms such as Meta and Instagram.
The lawsuit against Georgia gun manufacturer Daniel Defense was filed in Texas by 19 families who filed suit on Wednesday. The lawsuit against Meta and Activision Blizzard will be filed in California against other family members of the assault victims.
Activision Blizzard called the Uvalde shooting “horrible and heartbreaking in every way, and we extend our deepest sympathies to the families and communities still affected by this senseless act of violence.” Millions of people around the world enjoy video games without committing horrific acts.
The video game industry trade group has also pushed back against blaming gaming for violence, but a controversial study found no link.
“We are saddened and outraged by the senseless acts of violence. At the same time, we discourage baseless accusations linking these tragedies to video game gameplay, which distracts from focusing on the root of the problem and preventing future tragedies. .
The amount of damages sought in the new lawsuit is unclear.
The Uvalde shooter had been playing versions of Call of Duty since he was 15, including one that allowed him to effectively practice using a version of the rifle he used in school, according to the lawsuit.
The lawsuit against the gaming company claims it has created a hyper-realistic game “whereas the killings are virtual, the weapons are real – and they are designed to perfectly mimic the look, feel, recoil and accuracy of Real life weapons.
The lawsuit alleges that Instagram has done little to enforce its rules prohibiting the promotion of guns and harmful content to children.
The family’s lawyer said the gun company had achieved a “marketing coup” with the weapons in the game.
“Meanwhile, on Instagram, gunmen are being sought after through explicit, aggressive marketing. In addition to hundreds of images depicting and venerating the thrill of combat, Daniel Defense has used Instagram to praise his weapons “unlawful and brutal use,” the family’s attorney said in a statement.
The lawsuit alleges that the Uvalde shooter opened an online account with Daniel Defense before his 18th birthday and purchased the rifle as soon as possible.
In December 2022, separate plaintiffs filed lawsuits against local and state police, city governments, and other schools and law enforcement, seeking at least $27 billion in damages and class-action status for survivors. There are at least two other lawsuits filed against Daniel Defense.
Neither Daniel Defense nor Mehta immediately responded to emails seeking comment.
During a 2022 congressional hearing, Daniel Defense CEO Marty Daniels called the Uvalde shooting and other similar incidents “pure evil” and “deeply disturbing.”
In Uvalde, community members will gather for a vigil Friday night to remember the victims. Other events include local church bell ringing and butterfly releases.
“As we mark this solemn day, let us pray for those we have lost, their loved ones and all those hurt,” President Joe Biden said in a letter to the community.
“They should still be with us — playing sports, making art, dancing, laughing, learning, teaching, and making new memories with family and friends,” Vice President Kamala Harris said in a statement. “Today , we remember their stories, stand with their loved ones, and think about their communities. “